7.12.2010

Make-shift

The best thing about subscribin' to the kinds of blogs that I've subscribed to is that they provide an endless source of information. I have always been an information junkie -- an information whore, if you will. And the blogs I follow have kept me up-to-date with all the cool (and sometimes even not-so-cool) things that people are doing and making.

The bad thing about the blogs is that -- in a creative sense -- I wind up just living vicariously off other people's work; living off the cool things that others are doing...and making.

So about a month ago I decided to do something to get my own creative mojo working again. I whittled my 70+ blog subscriptions down to the semi-essentials; mostly the shares I get from friends, as well as feeds from two magazines that I read.

Immediately after purging the feeds, I found myself missing the new music that I've grown accustomed to getting on a weekly basis via blog subs. But as the saying goes: you've gotta give up something to get something.

It was time to unplug.

With the exception of the article published in GR a few months back, it's been a long time since I produced something substantial. The last issue of Kung Fu Grip! zine was published back in 2007, and I think the bootleg of Count Dante's World's Deadliest Fighting Secrets was published later that same year.

So for nearly three years I've mostly been absorbing stimuli in the form of blog feeds, books, comics, magazines, movies and music. Nourished by all these sources, the 'brain batteries' have taken on a good charge, and it feels like its time to put the energy to good use.

Time to do something. Time to make something.

No comments: